Friday, January 28, 2011

Wild Alaska

Alaska is a place I would love to visit one day because it’s thee most beautiful place on earth, well for me at least. It’s been my dream as a child that I would walk across the warm grass filled fields where the caribou graze and the swift fox hunts.

I would love to hike through the White Mountains of Alaska with the blue hazed skies and the snow covered peaks. The mighty pines stand strong at the foot of the mountains with the hungry grizzly bear grading the bright green pine forest.

Ahhh, the days I long to be there in person to smell the fresh pint scented air and breath in the fresh crisp, not as polluted, air like we have back here (which is still better than China’s air). The birds of the air are quite a sight to see as they fly from east to west in search of food and a place to nest.

The next thing on my list would be fishing in the clear drinkable streams and rivers that come forth from the great mountain ranges; catching the spring fed salmon and the time sensitive trout. With rock filled banks all around me as I would stand in the middle of the rough river, fly fishing away hoping to catch that big one!

However there is a slight downfall to this magnificent place which is the blistering cold winter with a non-ending darkness that overcomes the landscape for months at a time but not all is lost. The winter brings forth new beginnings and ends old endings. Polar bear cubs are born and the old and weak are terminated.

The wolves come alive in the moonlit nights and hunt down the weak and the sick using their skilled hunting techniques. Dashing through the forest onto the snow covered fields to stalk and kill there pray. That would be a magical sight to see one day. Someday my dreams will come true, until then I work hard so that I may enjoy my trip to wild Alaska.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

You write lovely, compelling prose and I'm enjoying reading your posts.

Were you aware that I lived in Anchorage for 2 years when I was an undergrad? There's nowhere else on earth like it. Nowhere.

RockyBock said...

Thank you very much and I'm very jealous you got to live in Alaska even if it was just for a few years..