Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Emotional Oscar

About a year ago I had wanted to set up an aquarium because they are very beautiful and there are many types of fish you can keep. I ended up buying a 30 gallon aquarium that had everything I needed for under $100!

It’s about three feet long and about two feet high with a nice wooden frame, the glass was clear with no scratches and it had light and dark brown gravel at the bottom. Also it had a built-in light in the hood that fit perfectly at the top.

After I let it set up for about three days I went out in search of fish I would enjoy having. I ended up at a loco pet store and they had baby Oscar fish for sale. There were tiger Oscars, albino Oscars and red Oscars but the one that caught my eye had an R shaped strip at the end of his tail. He was the most lively and aggressive one in the tank so I picked him and named him Pharaoh because he is the boss.

Now he is about 9” long, and can grow to be anywhere from a 12” to 16” long. Pharaoh is full of personality and emotions, you can’t tell me now fish don’t have feeling because, boy, I was proved wrong. When I clean his cage and move his things around he become very angry and will try and splash water in my face if I’m not careful. He is so very smart as well I have taught him to eat out of my hand and jump out of the water and also likes to be petted once in a while.

All in all I’m glad I had picked him for a fish because I think I would be very bored if I had just a plain goldfish. 


No comments: