Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's a Zoo

I have so many memories that I don’t even know where to begin from, but since I really only have the time to write about one (unless I want to be an over achiever like Mary, Ha-ha). My uncle owns a privet zoo where he collects many types of animals but as a kid I remember going to his place and seeing all the typed of animals he had. I just remember being in amazement every time I would go down there seeing and touching all different species that most people haven’t even herd of let alone seen at a regular zoo.

He had owned at least 20 + different species everything from a Himalayan Black Bear to a Giraffe to some of the weirdest and wild looking animals, some I can’t even remember the species but a lot of them were African originated animals. However he never owned any big cats not really sure why, guessed he wasn’t a fan but he did own a pair of serval cats (medium-sized cat, measuring 59 to 92 centimeters, or 23 – 36in) but he didn’t keep them long they weren’t hand raised so very unfriendly.

He did own regular animals like dogs and a house cat, he had lots of miniature horses, llamas, alpacas, donkeys, and camels. I always remember feeding them then getting chased because I had the food in buckets.  Trust me just because the horses have realllllly short legs don’t mean they can’t out run you or drag you when you’re walking them!

Growing up around all these types of animals and the interactions I’ve had with them really shaped my interest in working with wildlife and how important it is to conserve what we have left so that my child can grow up and enjoy the sight of nature and the animals that bring joy to our hearts.

4 comments:

insanity said...

That is pretty awesome and it could be worse, he could have a collection of deer statues everywhere.

Keri said...

That had to be cool growing up and being around animals like that it kinda brings you closer to nature.

Brooke said...

I like that you're able to identify where your love of animals and conservation comes from. The "zoo" also sounds like a fascinating place to have spent time while growing up. Thanks for telling us about it.

Unknown said...

Don't forget the alligator! Remember the drive from Rochester to Elmira with a 3 foot alligator in our van. Not to mention we didn't have the papers with us to prove it is legal. Thank God we never got pulled over.. that could have been bad!

And the nasty reindeer, them animals were nasty mean...