Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fishing with Father is all I ever wanted

When I was ten years old all I ever wanted was to go fishing with my father because we always had the greatest time, we would drive all over to fish form Lake Ontario down past the Finger Lakes and we would stop and random family owned diners and always order a cheeseburger, fries and split a strawberry milkshake.

Sometimes my daddy and I would go into the woods behind my house to go to our favorite spot we nicked named the “perch” because it was on a hill that had a shallow slope, when it met the water it created like a mini beach area. We brought buckets to use as chairs and if we caught anything worth keeping we had a bucket on hand.

Then dad taught me how to catch carp, it’s easy to get them to bite, but to actually get them in it takes lots of time and arm strength. We were in Canandaigua behind Abbotts fishing out of that small pond and he put bread on that hook and after it was in the water for five minutes he got a bit and it was a HUGE carp weighted like 20 something pounds (in reality it was like 15lbs).

It took him like 10 minutes to get it in, and then he showed me how to take a hook out of its mouth and how to hold the fish. He said that you have to revive the fish from the fight by holding him in the water and in a back and forth motion until it takes off.

He also use to take me to trout fishing tournaments in power mill park, I never won one, but I had more fun spending time and learning form my father how to fish. Someday I hope to be as a good of a fisher as he is and get a really big fish mounted like him! 

No comments: